Saturday, June 9, 2012

Paintable Wallpaper Inchies and a Stroll Down Artsy Memory Lane



Inchies cut from paintable wallpaper painted with acrylic paint.

I was a library programmer for years and I rustled up all manner of materials for the "art" projects we worked on, sending notes home with children requesting bits and snits of lace, fabric, tin foil, old rolls of wallpaper, ribbon, buttons, bottlecaps, toilet rolls, newspaper, old books, Mac Tac (shelf paper), used gift wrap and old ratty tatty wrapping tissue. I begged those huge pickle jars from restaurants to store "stuff" in. My supply cupboards were full of recyclables! Now this was back in the mid 1980s and the parents were ever willing to participate in anything "green" related. Our activities were in the news almost weekly, especially the conservation related ones!

Eventually it dawned on me, I know not the catalist (I think I was buying some wallpaper to do my kitchen if memory serves me) but it dawned on me that wallpaper suppliers have new lines coming in periodically. After quizzing I found that they throw them away, or at least at that time they did. Well these old wallpaper "books" are a fantastic resource for your mixed media art. In fact the books themselves are fantastic base materials for "art journals" with their hard covers.

AHA! you say. "Stick with me kid, I'll buy you golden slippers!"

Here I've used paintable wallpaper. Many are textured. One or two books of discontinued wallpaper can supply you with backgrounds and elements for your canvases for moons and moons to come. Sometimes you can find vintage papers at thrift shops. Don't overlook those amazing raggedy rolls! Oh I buy scrapbook paper, don't get me wrong, but this is a unique resource and not only is it free to you but it's recycling, oh and the images are amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment