Sunday, December 23, 2012

Coptic Stitched Book - 2012 12 Days of Christmas Swap - FCSS for Shirley Stark!

This is my first coptic stitched book binding. I made individual signatures and then stiched them together with the cover I made from corrigated cardboard. For the cover I peeled back some of the surface paper of the cardboard. Then I gave it a coat of gesso followed by antique white, village green and pink lemonade acrylic paints. I did also distress the edges with Tim Holtz aged burlap. The stitching is done with heavy, strong cotton thread which I waxed with bee's wax. This only because waxed linen, I discovered, is not available in this little north western Canadian town. I have now got some waxed linen thread on order.

The signatures are bracketed with Marion Smith digital printables. I've added envelopes and flaps throughout from the collection. The signatures contain 6 sheets of plain good quality paper for journaling. I found the instructions for coptic stitch on a youtube video which I will search out and post here when I find it again. I also give credit my friend Laurie Foster for having the patience to guide me and the fortitude to push me off on my own saying "you can do this Cathy". Thank you Laurie. I am proud of this little book. I've given it to Shirley Stark for whom I am "secret sister" in the 12 Days of Christmas swap for 2012 on FCSS 2012, for Day 10. I hope you like it Shirley!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2FRKbQI2kY

4 comments:

  1. oh my this is nice...
    Happy Holidays to you and your family

    ReplyDelete
  2. girl you rocked it.. i love it.. i will be using it. thank you so much girl... hugs to you..

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh Cathy I LOVE it. I have already written in it.. so well put together. Its gorjuss girl.. I will be trying my hands at coptic stitching...big hugs sister

    ReplyDelete
  4. girl you rocked it.. i love it.. i will be using it. thank you so much girl... hugs to you..

    ReplyDelete